Photobucket

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

dreaming in blueprints

When I was in the fourth grade my parents decided to build a house. Well I am sure they had decided before then to build.. but that's when their plan actually WENT into action. Of course, being a child, I don't remember EACH step of their building process,.. but there are several things that I remember. Things such as: the slab being poured, the framing (going into my room and seeing it have walls was pretty cool) the painting, and the carpet going in. (i think the only reason i remember the carpet going in, was because thats the day that WE moved in as well.) Anyways,.. my point is.. I remember how much I enjoyed it all. How fun it seemed to pick out EVERYTHING (i got to pick out my bedroom wall color and carpet color -- and thought it was the neatest).

Now roughly 16 years later,... its my turn. Well almost! 

Hank and I married in 2006. We lived in an apartment for the first few months of our marriage and in July of that year, we bought a house. An older house of course, because Hank was still in nursing school and we were no where near being financially ready to buy land and build a house. So we decided to buy an older home (the BEST decision we could have made) and live there for a few years as our "starter" home. Now even though this house was built in the 1960's (we think) it had already had several updates. It had tile through out the house,.. which I am sure is a huge change from the probable shag carpet that it most likely had in the beginning, it had a new roof after Katrina, and even though it had wood paneling on the walls, all of the paneling had been painted except for in the closets. We lived in this house for a little over 4 years,.. and we sold it this past February.

Now let me back up a little bit. In October 2009, Hank and I bought 1.29 acres in Hickory Ridge Estates subdivision in Ellisville on Blueberry Lane. Our original plan was to pay off our land.. and once that was done we would begin building. That,.. of course,.. is easier said than done. I won't get into all of the boring details and hold-ups that we went through. But hopefully *fingers crossed* we will have everything settled this week and begin building our new home next week. 

 this is what our house will ONE day look like!

Since February we have been living with my parents. Yep. They have been super good to us and have helped us tremendously. We are very fortunate to have them take us in like they have and not expect anything in return. 

So. Hopefully (there's that word again) we will be able to start next week. In February, when we sold our house, we went ahead and did the dirt work for our house,.. but that has been sitting there for the past 4 months. As soon as we get all of the paperwork straightened out, we can get back on track with picking out everything for our house. I'm really excited about it,.. just ready to see some progress on our dream home! And just as my parents did those 16 years ago... I can slowly watch our dream become a reality. 

I will be sure to keep you all posted through my blog! And I should be able to provide some pictures along the way! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment